While the mold on the old slice of bread in your bread basket isn’t inherently dangerous, the mold lurking behind your walls might very well be. Household mold is incredibly common and, depending on the variety, also very dangerous. It can be hard to tell whether or not you have a mold problem if you don’t know what to look for.
Warning Signs of Mold: Your Health
If you have a mold problem in your home, you might be experiencing symptoms that feel a lot like seasonal or household allergies. If your symptoms improve when you leave your home and seem to get worse when you’ve been at home for longer periods of time, there’s a chance that it’s a mold problem. The warning signs of mold include:
- Itchy, sore or scratchy throat
- Runny nose
- Sinus pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Irritated and itchy skin
Depending on the type of mold in your home, there might be many serious consequences of long-term exposure including organ damage, cancer, internal bleeding or death.
Warning Signs of Mold: Your Home
If you take the time to pay attention when walking around your home, you can often detect the early signs of a mold problem.
- Musty Odor: Every mold does not produce a smell, but many of them do. If you have a lingering musty odor, there might be mold in your home.
- Visible Mold: It might go without saying, but visible mold is definitely a sign that you have a mold problem. Some molds appear to be white, while others look like clusters of dark black spots. Mold can be almost any color, including gray, green, brown, pink, purple or orange. If you are not sure whether or not a growth in your home is mold, don’t hesitate to call the experts at Flood Department.
- Water Leaks: If you have a persistent water leak in your home or just discovered one, there’s a good chance that mold has been growing behind the scenes. Leaks behind walls or in areas of the home with poor circulation, like your basement, will lead to mold over time.
- Water Damage: Water damage does not occur without a source of moisture, so signs of water damage could also mean that there is mold present. Cracking or peeling paint, bubbling in wallpaper and discoloration are all signs that mold-friendly conditions are present in your home.
- Past Flooding: If your home experienced flooding in the past (especially if you did not use professional mold remediation services), there is a high likelihood that there is some type of mold present.
Correct Your Mold Problem with Flood Department
Flood Department emergency water removal can complete a wide range of mold removal, flood damage restoration and clean-up services. To learn more about our services and whether or not you have a mold problem on your hands, give us a call at 855-350-0360.